Why is the Global SOF Foundation necessary?
The world is growing more volatile, unpredictable, and threatening. The conduct of war continues to shift: from large-scale clashes between nations to those characterized by unconventional methods, as well as long-term engagements with and against non-state transnational groups. Countering these globally networked threats requires a global “good-guy” network that can innovate and operate at speeds that traditional governments cannot. The Global SOF Foundation (GSF), a non-profi t organization, is forging this “good-guy” network among the world’s special operations forces (SOF). It brings together military, government, industry, and intellectual leaders from around the world for the purpose of advancing the capability and effi cacy of SOF.
What does the Global SOF Foundation do?
The GSF fills a critical gap in the national security discourse: leading an effort to link like-minded public and private entities and to increase understanding of the role that Special Operations can play in addressing global security challenges, especially those emanating from unconventional and transnational sources. The GSF is not a traditional charity but a professional association for SOF dedicated to advocating for SOF globally.
Specifically, the GSF:
- Convenes a diverse set of stakeholders interested in the future of global SOF and security through unique networking opportunities and strategic, thought-provoking forums as well distributed media:
- Regular networking events in the U.S. and overseas
- Annual Global SOF Forums and Symposia held in the U.S. and overseas
- Regular newsletters, unique website content, and other distributed media
- Educates global policymakers in order to ensure SOF maintain a comparative advantage and are resourced for success
- Serves as the “go to” SOF organization outside of military and government, with a plan to establish a “think team” (as opposed to a think tank) in Washington, D.C. focused on the study of SOF and asymmetric warfare
- Works to identify cutting-edge technologies; future concepts; and innovations in training and education in order to advance the current and future force, and support international SOF partners